Saturday 4th October is World Animal Day! This day is an opportunity for people that are interested in animals to give something back to them, and its mission statement is:
“To celebrate animal life in all its forms. To celebrate humankind’s relationship with the animal kingdom. To acknowledge the diverse roles that animals play in our lives, if it’s for companionship, supporting and help us through our lives, to bring a sense of wonder into our lives. To acknowledge and be thankful for the way in which animals enrich our lives.”
The point of this day is to remember and pay tribute to all animals, big and small, and celebrate how they affect and touch people. This day has grown so big around the world that it’s celebrated in all different countries!
Animals play such an important role in the well-being of mankind and sadly this is not always recognised.
This day was founded in 1931 as a way of highlighting the plight of endangered animals and the 4th October was chosen as it is the same day as the Feast Day of St Francis of Assisi, the patron Saint of animals. This day has now evolved to recognise all animals, along with the people who love and respect them.
For us, World Animal Day is a way of recognising the vital role domestic animals have in our everyday lives, and highlighting the sad fact that not all of them have the love and respect that they deserve. It's an opportunity for us to promote our wonderful animals and pay tribute to their shining characters.
We fully support this day as it’s a real opportunity to make animal welfare issues front page news! Whether you’re passionate about wildlife, domestic animals or both, you can use this day to help. Here’s a few ways to get involved with World Animal Day:
* Organise your own event to raise awareness or money for your favourite animal cause. If you’re unsure how to go about this, have a look at the World Animal Day website for some great ideas. How about having a coffee morning or a bake sale? Every little helps!
* Donate goods, rather than money, to your local animal charity. This could be blankets, food or other items. If you’d like to help out our animals, we are always appreciative! Have a look at our Amazon Wishlist for some ideas on the items we need
* Join your favourite animal charity, whether it be as a member, a volunteer or simply a recipient of their newsletter
* Spread the news about the day to your friends and family
* Spend a little extra time with your furry best friend; use this day as an opportunity to celebrate all the best things about them!
If you do hold your own event, we’d love to see the pictures afterwards! If you’d like to raise money for us and would like some guidance on the best way of doing it, please get in touch with Victoria.
Have a look on World Animal Day’s website for more information about this day!
Communications & Volunteer Manager