Our Mission is "to promote responsible pet ownership and to rescue, rehabilitate and re-home those animals in need".
Our Vision is for animals within our District to be free from cruelty and neglect.
Derby & District RSPCA, your local rehoming centre on Abbey street in Derby's first responsibility is to support National RSPCA Inspectors who have rescued severely neglected and cruelly treated animals in our area. If we have any space availability after helping local animals, then we will first offer it to RSPCA rescue animals from other areas and then will offer the space to urgent public cases on our waiting list. We are always full, the minute one animal leaves another one comes in.
Advocating Responsible Pet Ownership is something that we are all passionate about. If everyone cared for their pets in the way that they should, then the need for our Branch would diminish greatly. Responsible Pet Ownership is all about education and doing what is right for your animal. We also run Community Animal Action Event throughout the year where we come out into communities in our area to help on the spot with micro-chipping, claw clipping and education - sometimes we can help with low cost neutering vouchers.
We are an independently-funded Branch and rely on donations and fundraising to continue to operate. It's only through the generosity of the public that we are able to continue to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome needy animals. The Branch needs to raise over £9,000 per week to continue our invaluable work.
Which animals can we accommodate?
We accommodate dogs, cats, rabbits, birds and small furry creatures. We do not have facilities for wildlife, exotics or farm animals.
The Branch was founded in 1872, with the first Honorary Secretary being a Miss Mosley of Burnaston House, Derby.
In 1931 the Branch Area Inspector was Inspector Busby who apart from his daily duties gave lectures on animal welfare.
In April 1931 the Annual General Meeting was held at the Queen's Hall. The President of the Branch at the time was Brigadier-General Godfrey Meynell. He said that a great many people were handicapped by not knowing the proper course of action to take when they came across some of the appalling cases of animal cruelty which were still found up and down the British Isles.
In 1936 the Derbyshire East Branch replaced their Branch motorcycle with an Austin Seven Motor Van at the cost of £112.10.
It was not until June 1940 that the plot of land at the corner of Abbey Street and Macklin Street, the site of the present Centre, was purchased. Most of the present Centre buildings were only built in the last thirty years.
The Derby and District Branch now encompasses the old Branch of Derbyshire East and part of the old Buxton and District Branch.